I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Nov 4 20:22:40 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 01:05 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> As a user, you can either trust their judgment and go along with LO, or oppose
> their judgment if you think you know better. And the latter means, if you
> think you can criticize their choices, you should at least be as competent as
> they are. And that implies maintaining OO to be a no-brainer, right? :-)

Please understand: I'm not saying I don't want to switch, I'm saying
that both options should be there for those who want them.  Linux is, to
a large extent, about choice.  You can chose your distro, your desktop,
your shell, your editor, your browser, your email client and so on
instead of being stuck with whatever whoever created the distro wants
you to have and for the most part, you can get what you want properly
packaged for your distro instead of having to know how to tweak a
generic tarball, compile and install it.  I see no reason, frankly, why
this type of support can't continue for OpenOffice, at least until it
becomes clear that the vast majority of Fedora users aren't interested
in it any more.

I've never used LibreOffice, I've never even heard of it before, so I
have no reason to trust or not trust their judgment when it comes to
deciding which is better.  I do, however, dislike their decision that
"we know what everybody else wants and that's all we're going to supply."