I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Thu Nov 4 21:21:14 UTC 2010

On 11/4/2010 4:05 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Also, feel free to ask the devs *why* they made the switch,
> they may just be willing to explain and give you arguments that would persuade
> you it's the right thing to do.

I think that is what the OP is asking, judging from the thread title.  I
haven't seen such an answer from a developer yet.  Perhaps it's a
political decision, involving the differences between "free" and
"open-source" software.  Or, perhaps the new product is just more useful
to more people.  But, programmers aren't necessarily the best judge of
that.  I don't think it's a matter of either you know more than the
developers, or less.  Different people have different skill sets and needs.

I know that there are tools out there for building packages from source
code, and I wouldn't think you necessarily have to be an "uber-geek
programmer" to use them.  You may not even have to write a single line
of code.  People can contribute to the free/open-source community in a
variety of ways, depending on both their skills and their willingness.
Right now I'm at the low end on both counts, so I wouldn't feel
comfortable ranting about how this or that decision on the part of the
developers sucks, but I've seen it here (not saying on this thread).  If
the distro isn't exactly what you want it to be, it makes a lot of sense
for someone to suggest you roll up your sleeves and make it so (a luxury
you have only to a very limited extent with proprietary software), or
contribute to that end in some way.  But I don't think it's quite right
to say you *have* to do it in order for your criticisms to be taken
seriously.  A gifted artist may be trying to do something in Gimp the
programmers never even thought of, for example, even if she couldn't
program "hello, world".   But if your argument is simply that you trust
Oracle more than Novell I agree it probably won't be taken very seriously.

So if you really must have your OO package for Fedora in the future,
have at it.  There must be a few people who both care enough about it
and have the necessary skills.  If not, well, that's how the community
votes here.  Of course, they could also build and install it on their
own systems from the source code and the rest of the community be
damned.  That also is a valid choice.  For myself, I'm grateful there
are enough people willing to put together a system I can just download
and install for free, without contributing much other than an occasional
bug report or helping out the rare user who is less knowledgeable than me.

My $.02.