I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 00:05:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 01:05 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > As a user, you can either trust their judgment and go along with LO, or
> oppose
> > their judgment if you think you know better. And the latter means, if you
> > think you can criticize their choices, you should at least be as
> competent as
> > they are. And that implies maintaining OO to be a no-brainer, right? :-)
>
> Please understand: I'm not saying I don't want to switch, I'm saying
> that both options should be there for those who want them.  Linux is, to
> a large extent, about choice.  You can chose your distro, your desktop,
> your shell, your editor, your browser, your email client and so on
> instead of being stuck with whatever whoever created the distro wants
> you to have and for the most part, you can get what you want properly
> packaged for your distro instead of having to know how to tweak a
> generic tarball, compile and install it.  I see no reason, frankly, why
> this type of support can't continue for OpenOffice, at least until it
> becomes clear that the vast majority of Fedora users aren't interested
> in it any more.
>
> I've never used LibreOffice, I've never even heard of it before, so I
> have no reason to trust or not trust their judgment when it comes to
> deciding which is better.  I do, however, dislike their decision that
> "we know what everybody else wants and that's all we're going to supply."
>
> But again you fail to see that the root of all your choices is that someone
decided to create them for you.
You have emacs, vim, vi etc...Precisely because someone said I can do it
better or I want features x,y,z
and program A doesn't have it so I'll make my own. I agree there should be
choices but I cannot maintain
it. So your choices are go with the flow or make your own. Its not a matter
of trying to make anyone feel small but
making them understand that its a JOB to maintain software of such size and
complexity. A job that many do for $0
and many of those that get paid for such things work for someone else and
are not necessarily allowed to do as they
please.