Fedora F13 to F14 upgrade leaves RPM database with strange mix of fc13 and fc14 packages

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:30:48 UTC 2010

I upgraded a Fedora 13 system to Fedora 14 using the full boot from
DVD (not preupgrade).
The upgrade itself went smoothly. After the reboot into F14 I then
attempted to do
a yum update (it is all defaults, I don't have any custom yum
repositories set up).

The update initially failed because of a strange dependency between the python3
package and the alchemy package. I removed alchemy and then the yum update
succeeded.

However, even after a reboot, things seem strange. For instance if I
do an "rpm -a"
to get a list of installed packages I see many packages with "fc13" in
them.  Yet
a "yum list available" shows that a "fc14" version should be out
there.  But trying
to update or install it fails too.

For example,

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

# rpm -qi tzdata
Name        : tzdata                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2010n                             Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 1.fc13                        Build Date: Wed 27 Oct
2010 12:11:46 PM EDT
Install Date: Wed 03 Nov 2010 11:42:30 AM EDT      Build Host:
x86-03.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
tzdata-2010n-1.fc13.src.rpm
Size        : 1880732                          License: Public Domain
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 27 Oct 2010 07:22:43 PM EDT, Key ID
7edc6ad6e8e40fde
Packager    : Fedora Project
URL         : ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/
Summary     : Timezone data
Description :
This package contains data files with rules for various timezones around
the world.

Notice that tzdata is still from Fedora 13.  Yum won't update it...

# yum update tzdata
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

But when trying to install rather than update, yum says that the F14
version is already installed...

# yum install tzdata
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Setting up Install Process
Package matching tzdata-2010k-1.fc14.noarch already installed.
Checking for update.
Nothing to do

So what may be going on here?  I have lots of packages from seemingly
different releases. But do note that this system started from a fresh
install of Fedora 13 ... I never had an earlier version installed.

# rpm -qa | grep fc11 | wc -l
1

# rpm -qa | grep fc12 | wc -l
110