I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:07:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Peter Boy <pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> OpenOffice might share its fortune with XFree86 and you really will not
> interested to use it anymore.
>
> That's the way OSS works.
> Peter

Quite on the contrary: I believe OpenOffice.org will live on, no
matter if LibreOffice grows.
Just as SeaMonkey lives on, despite the Mozilla Foundation´s best
efforts to move everyone to Firefox.

It´s easy to take the bulk of well-written code developer over a
decade and then "evolve" it with just a couple dozen developers,
adding minor features and patches after each minor release number.

The truth will be seen when both LO and OpenOffice.org start diverging
and when Oracle decides to put several hundred developers to work on
the next major version number full time, if Ubuntu/Fedora and hobbyist
programmers in their spare time can match it. It´ll be fun to watch,
but I surely think the forking wasn´t needed, and it was cause because
of politcs, FUD, and paranoia.

"That´s the way OSS works" seems to be an excuse to fork, fork, fork.
Has anyone heard of "Iceweasel" lately?. No, everyone refers to it by
Mozilla.org´s name....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

Just my $0.02...
FC