I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Fri Nov 5 12:30:08 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, den 05.11.2010, 08:07 -0300 schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> The truth will be seen when both LO and OpenOffice.org start diverging
> and when Oracle decides to put several hundred developers to work on
> the next major version number full time, if Ubuntu/Fedora and hobbyist
> programmers in their spare time can match it. It´ll be fun to watch,

I'm not shure if it is really fun.

> but I surely think the forking wasn´t needed, and it was cause because
> of politcs, FUD, and paranoia.
>
> "That´s the way OSS works" seems to be an excuse to fork, fork, fork.

No, not fork. Fork is a kind of side effect.

It is a matter of engagement and attractiveness (and cooperation/
coordination). FUD, paranoia and the like are surface phenomena if
something is going wrong under the hood. Part of each successful project
is to take care to keep its developers onboard. Something went wrong
here during the Sun / Oracle merger.

Peter