Preupgrading headless remote systems

Steve Berg sberg at mississippi.com
Fri Nov 5 12:44:13 UTC 2010

So far I've had very good luck with preupgrade for 12 to 14 and 13 to 14
systems.  There's one annoyance that is causing me some headache.  I have
a couple of systems that are headless and remote that I'd like to do a
preupgrade on but I can't seem to get things started without some local
keyboard interaction.

I need let preupgrade and/or anaconda know that it's supposed to use eth0
(some systems have more than one NIC).  And I need to specify the language
and keyboard layouts from within preupgrade and or the grub entry that
launches the upgrade.

Currently I run preupgrade and then manually tweak /boot/grub/grub.conf to
load the 14 installer automatically with a vnc session waiting for a
connection.  But this only happens after I locally tell the system to use
English, a US keyboard and (sometimes) eth0.  It's causing me to hold off
on upgrading some systems until I can prove that I can get the 14
installer to launch all the way into the VNC session being ready with no
local interaction necessary.

--
*       Stephen Berg       *
*  sberg at mississippi.com   *