Fedora14 install to partition from running system

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Nov 5 15:22:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:25:50 +0000
Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:

> Is it possible to install Fedora14 onto a spare partition from DVD on
> a running Fedora12 system ?
> I have two separate 30G partitions on my systems to allow two Fedora
> versions to be installed. I normally install a new Fedora onto the
> alternate partition allowing a boot back to the old system in case of
> issues and to retrieve config. However, Fedora, with all my default
> packages, takes a fair time to install so I was wondering if there
> was a way to do this while the existing system is running ? I guess I
> could use KVM or something, but is there an easy way, something like
> "anaconda --root=..." ?

It sounds like you want to run the install as a process under your
running F12 system.  As far as I know, the answer is no.  When the DVD
boots, it loads its own verion of the linux kernel to actually do the
install.

I do what you do regarding the partitions, and the new F14 install took
2 hours from start to finish.  Of course, it took a lot more tweaking
after, but it would boot successfully after 2 hours.  That doesn't seem
excessive to me.