Fedora14: Problme with pungi ?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:43:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2010 03:42 PM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>>> I am trying to make a custom DVD of Fedora14 with all of the current updates
>>> using Pungi. I normally also add my own RPM's to create a custom system for my
>>> use, but at the moment I am trying to create a standard system. This has worked
>>> well in the past howvever with Fedora14 it fails.
>>> I am using the command:
>>>
>>> pungi --nosource --nosplitmedia --nodebuginfo --cachedir=`pwd`/cache -G -C -B -I
>>> --flavor Fedora --name Fedora --ver 14 -c
>>> /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks
>>>
>>> This all appears to work fine, but when I try and boot the DVD I get a:
>>>
>>> "Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. ..."
>>>
>>> The standard Fedora14 DVD works fine, so I guess pungi is not setting something
>>> up correctly in the initrd or the kernel is not using the initrd for some
>>> reason. Any ideas ?
>>
>> I have just looked at the initrd.img that has been created and the permissions
>> of sbin/init (and all other programs in sbin are the same) is:
>> -rw-------. 1 root root   36088 Nov  5 16:02 init
>>
>> It think it should be (Like on the standard DVD):
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        36088 Oct 21 19:15 sbin/init
>>
>> So I guess something has gone wrong at the creation of the initrd stage,
>> or there is something wrong with the root user setup ?
>
> I have been building f14 install isos for a while - and I have not had
> this problem - however I build with pungi inside a mock chroot - I
> wonder if this is a possible cause?

I just checked my build directories and in
/var/lib/mock/fedora-14-i386/root/compose/20101102/i386/os/isolinux/
I see that
-rw-r--r--. 2 root root 31245743 2010-11-02 19:36 initrd.img

which is different to your permissions - though I have not looked
inside the iso produced to see the permissions there.

--
mike c