I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Nov 5 22:08:47 UTC 2010

Chris Adams writes:

> Once upon a time, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> said:
>> The truth will be seen when both LO and OpenOffice.org start diverging
>> and when Oracle decides to put several hundred developers to work on
>> the next major version number full time
>
> I think that is highly unlikely.  Oracle has not shown any indication it
> is going to put "several hundred developers to work" on any Open Source
> project.  Several OO.o developers that were Sun employees have left
> Oracle (and have joined the LO project).

People seem to have forgotten that a while ago Oracle forked RHEL and began
peddling their support model as the alternative to Red Hat's support.

I don't get the impression that Oracle put any serious muscle behind it. I
was curious how log ago was that, a quick search found Oracle's announcement
almost exactly four years ago. Four years later, and few people have ever
heard of it.

It seems to me that if Oracle was serious in investing in free software,
four years would've been plenty of time for Oracle to show how much
development effort they are willing to put forth, and for their product to
evolve into a competitive brand.

Given how Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux" turned out so far, I am unable to
find any indication that Oracle would be willing to make a serious
investment in OO on its own. If anything, it seems more likely that they
would start pulling stuff from LibreOffice into their own branch, much like
they're tagging along after RHEL.

Oh, wait. Their licensing policy make that impossible. Unless they change
them, of course. What a pickle they're in, huh?

P.S. One thing I do agree on -- LibreOffice needs a better name.