I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:40:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>wrote:

> Chris Adams writes:
>
>  Once upon a time, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> The truth will be seen when both LO and OpenOffice.org start diverging
>>> and when Oracle decides to put several hundred developers to work on
>>> the next major version number full time
>>>

>> I think that is highly unlikely.  Oracle has not shown any indication it
>> is going to put "several hundred developers to work" on any Open Source
>> project.  Several OO.o developers that were Sun employees have left
>> Oracle (and have joined the LO project).
>>

> People seem to have forgotten that a while ago Oracle forked RHEL and began
> peddling their support model as the alternative to Red Hat's support.
>
> I don't get the impression that Oracle put any serious muscle behind it. I
> was curious how log ago was that, a quick search found Oracle's announcement
> almost exactly four years ago. Four years later, and few people have ever
> heard of it.

It seems to me that if Oracle was serious in investing in free software,
> four years would've been plenty of time for Oracle to show how much
> development effort they are willing to put forth, and for their product to
> evolve into a competitive brand.
>
> Given how Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux" turned out so far, I am unable to
> find any indication that Oracle would be willing to make a serious
> investment in OO on its own. If anything, it seems more likely that they
> would start pulling stuff from LibreOffice into their own branch, much like
> they're tagging along after RHEL.
>
> I agree with you there and if the rest of their software is any indication
of what's in store for OO then good riddance....

> Oh, wait. Their licensing policy make that impossible. Unless they change
> them, of course. What a pickle they're in, huh?
>
> P.S. One thing I do agree on -- LibreOffice needs a better name.

How about Free Office ;^ ) *BLATANT SUPPOSITION FOLLOWS* That's BFS, FUD's
uglier cousin.  What Oracle is trying to do is gather the users of Open
Office under its banner so they can claim they are part of the free software
movement.  They can then try to edge out other open source companies with
their own work then start cutting funding to the project. OO will fade as
will support for it. Open source will have a black eye because Oracle lets
OO fall into disrepute. It's a shame really because many people were finally
starting to realize they had an alternative to MS office suite. How long
will it take them to realize that Libre Office exists I wonder. Anyway
Oracle seems to be on the path of destruction, they are apparently not smart
enough to realize it will only lead to their own.