F14: high temperatures after coming back from hibernate

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Nov 5 23:55:19 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 05:40 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I have noticed a strange problem after I come back from hibernate and
> upgrade in F14 on my Thinkpad T61. The temperatures are off the charts,
> hitting as high as 95C, and staying there, soon after waking up. The
> laptop has become unusable, basically. Here is the output of top: the
> topmost processes. Note that the laptop has 4 GB of memory,
>
>   1751 maitra    20   0  422m 2232  964 R 99.7  0.1  22:05.74 pulseaudio

It looks like pulseaudio is in some sort of loop.  I'd attach strace to
it and see what it's doing.  The PID is 1751, so you'd do something like:

strace -f -s 256 -p 1751

and cancel with Ctrl+C.  You'll probably notice that there are sections
of output that simply repeat.  Send a bit back to the list.  It's hard
to say whether or not the problem will be apparent, but that'll be a
place to start.