I have lost the ability to save music in MP3 format [SOLVED....sort of]

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 00:02:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:22 AM, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:56:18 -0400
> Paul Otheim <coriolis220 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I went into the ~/.gconf/system folder, since the problem was not
> > application specific it seemed like a good place to start.
>
> I don't have that folder in ~/.gconf on my system.  Only apps and
> desktop.  Both those folders have the %gconf.xml file in them.  And I
> just checked, I can play an mp3.
>
> > So my question now is what is the purpose of this empty file?
>
> I don't know for sure, but I would guess it is being used as some sort
> of flag.  Or perhaps for locking.
>
> > Presumably the apps go into the ~/.gconf/system
> >  directory looking for these files, apparently they would hit this
> > particular instance of it and use it for something but who knows what?
>
> It probably indicates the access for gstreamer in the system.  Maybe
> you have to be a member of a specific group to use gstreamer if it is
> flagged in system.  I suspect you could move the entire system folder to
> something else and your sound would work just fine, and there would be
> no other problems.
>
> You probably did something on your system that had the inadvertent side
> effect of creating this.  I don't know enough about what this is to
> tell what you might have done.
>
> Anyhow you have sound back.  And you know something more about your
> system.

Thanks for all the input. Just a small correction though I never lost sound
only the ability to save in mp3 format. Anyway I have found some
documentation
and they appear to be used to store preferences( the %gconf.xml files). Not
sure why so many empty files exist, nor how this one ended up in this
location
when by all indications it did not belong there....that is what bothers me
more than anything else.  I'll keep working through the documentation though
most of it seems directed at how to use the file and is unlikely to tell me
how it got there , the last modification date seems to be right around the
time I noticed the problem to begin with, I will have to get my magnifying
glass and pipe out and sift through logs and such.

Thanks to all