I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 7 03:27:47 UTC 2010

On 11/3/10 10:31 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Now, having said that, I didn´t like the hysteria surrounding
> OpenOffice.org, and I think Oracle will do an OK job advancing the
> open source project going forward.

The 'hysteria' surrounding 'OpenOffice.org' is not what you state it
is.  Oracle bought Sun, Oracle does not subscribe to the 'OpenSource is
better' mantra that Sun did.  Thus, OpenOffice.org, minus the patented
code was released as LibreOffice.  RedHat and other distributions
realize that OpenOffice.org will soon become 'pay as you go' software
under the StarOffice label and have decided to embrace LibreOffice.
> I also don´t trust Novell a single bit, and I think sooner rather than
> later, they´ll end up polluting "LibreOffice" with Mono. I don´t want
> that.

Too bad.  The had the best directory service that I've worked with just
because of that:  It worked and was universal rather than the 'Active
Directory' crap that Microsoft foists on the unsuspecting.
> So, here I am, a happy Fedora user, but who´d like to continue using
> OpenOffice.org. What chance is there (if any) of an end user like me
> of influencing Fedora direction to keep supporting OpenOffice.org ?.
> Who makes those kind of decisions? Has Fedora or RedHat made any
> statement wrt OO.o going forward?.

You can always add OO.o to your system.  However, RedHat and others will
not be including it in their packages for a number of reasons, most of
them legal.

Also, in the spirit of FOSS, this is a 'good thing'.  OpenOffice.org was
a Sun thing.  It is NOT an 'Oracle' thing.

James McKenzie