ssh on F14 complains when I run emacs with X11 port forwarding

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 7 03:55:58 UTC 2010

On F14's desktop, from gnome-terminal, I ssh to another host with port
forwarding (ForwardX11 yes, and ForwardX11Trusted yes). On the other host, I
start emacs. Emacs appears to come up properly, with its window tunneled,
and opening on my desktop. Everything looks normal, but I notice that the
original gnome-terminal has a burst of about half-a-dozen ugly "connect :
Connection refused" complaints.

Some experimentation shows that this error is not coming from the host where
I started emacs, but from the ssh client I started on my desktop. strace
shows this:

connect(7, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path=@"/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = -1
ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
close(7)                                = 0
write(2, "connect : Connection refused\r\n", 30) = 30

The ssh client is attempting to make a connection to this AF_FILE socket,
gets blown off, and whines to stderr.

Now, as far as I can tell, emacs appears to be running fine, but something
is broken.

fuser shows that /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 is held open by Xorg:

[root at lc2440 ~]# fuser /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0:    7524
[root at lc2440 ~]# ps -ef | grep 7524
root      7524  7520  2 23:43 tty7     00:00:13 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br
-verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-zEGonr/database -nolisten tcp

Xorg has this socket open, but ssh can't connect to it. Not sure what the
bug is, here. Who should get this bug in bugzilla?