ssh on F14 complains when I run emacs with X11 port forwarding

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 19:38:52 UTC 2010

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> On F14's desktop, from gnome-terminal, I ssh to another host with port
> forwarding (ForwardX11 yes, and ForwardX11Trusted yes). On the other
> host, I start emacs. Emacs appears to come up properly, with its
> window tunneled, and opening on my desktop. Everything looks normal,
> but I notice that the original gnome-terminal has a burst of about
> half-a-dozen ugly "connect : Connection refused" complaints.

Same here between two F14 systems.  In addition I get a comentary about
a losing g_spawn_sync() usage and about GConf being unhappy with the
world.  I wonder if the latter is the connection refused cause.  Remote
GConf might think you are running locally and tries unsucessfully to
contact the AF_INET socket for the main GConf server (which isn't
tunneled).

    $ emacs
    connect : Connection refused
    connect : Connection refused
    connect : Connection refused
    connect : Connection refused
    connect : Connection refused

    (emacs:2130): GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a bug in the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status, or don't set the SIGCHLD action.
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Abnormal program termination spawning command line `dbus-launch --autolaunch=37c24c977a35208a6ae687ae4ade7c4e --binary-syntax --close-stderr': )
    connect : Connection refused

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)