ssh on F14 complains when I run emacs with X11 port forwarding

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 22:21:03 UTC 2010

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht writes:
>

>> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>>> On F14's desktop, from gnome-terminal, I ssh to another host with port
>>> forwarding (ForwardX11 yes, and ForwardX11Trusted yes). On the other
>>> host, I start emacs. Emacs appears to come up properly, with its
>>> window tunneled, and opening on my desktop. Everything looks normal,
>>> but I notice that the original gnome-terminal has a burst of about
>>> half-a-dozen ugly "connect : Connection refused" complaints.
>>
>> Same here between two F14 systems.  In addition I get a comentary about
>> a losing g_spawn_sync() usage and about GConf being unhappy with the
>> world.  I wonder if the latter is the connection refused cause.  Remote
>
> I only get the connection refused error. No other messages.

My home is on NFS when I ssh-ed to the other machine.  The folks writing
gnome don't seem to use NFS and screw up the distiction between "per
machine" and "per user" all the time.  No doubt two different gnome
programs on two different computers were trying to write the same
unix-domain socket.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)