Failure of compiling mplayer

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Nov 8 02:50:35 UTC 2010

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:06:24 +0900
> Abu Attar Musharih <abuattar.musharih at gmail.com> wrote:

> The compilation and installation on my box with newly installed fc14
> seemed to produce corrupted mplayer.
> The command line ( > mplayer file.video.name ) gave the following
> message:
>
> Can't open /dev/fb0: Permission denied
> [fbdev2] Can't open /dev/fb0: Permission denied
> VO: [v4l2] No such file or directory
> vo_cvidix: No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones (-v
> option for details)!

I've seen this error before, and I believe it is because some of the
nonfree codecs from RPMFusion have not been installed.  fb0 is the
framebuffer device for the console.

Or perhaps it is because you have to add your user to the video
group. /etc/group

Anyway, it is not a problem with mplayer per se, it is a permissions
problem or a missing library.

A web search might turn up a better explanation and solution.