how to generate pi in c

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 8 04:49:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 17:13 +0100, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> You are probably alle wrong - pi equals 3.125, see:
> http://www.correctpi.com/

I was always under the impression that pi was merely the ratio of the
circumference to the diameter, something that's easy enough to prove
empirically (measure the two, and do the maths).

What you do with pi after that, such as calculating areas or volumes, is
entirely another matter.

Whatever you think about what the numerical of pi should be, it's
interesting how pi is used in all sorts of things that you wouldn't
necessarily relate to circles (such as electronics formulae), and the
accepted 3.14... value works properly.

Of course, if you believed it shouldn't be 3.14, you could argue that pi
shouldn't have been used, but pi *and* a corrective factor, that
happened to equal 3.14.  But that would seem just a bit too much of
trying to hard to justify a false belief.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.