Fedora 14 Kickstart Problems

Steve Berg sberg at mississippi.com
Mon Nov 8 13:50:50 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> Im trying to do automated installation with Fedora 14 kickstart and the
> configuration [2] shown at
> the end of this message. The installation never runs through. Anaconda
> still displays these screens
> and waits for user input:

Here's a sanitized version of my kickstart.  I do pxeboot across the
network from each system.  I don't set up partitions since the systems I
deal with all run either RAID 1 or RAID 5 arrays and a few kickstart
options were removed a few releases ago that I relied on.  So once I set
up my RAID arrays in anaconda everything else is automatic.  The system
reboots into a usable state afterwards ready for a few minor post-install
actions that don't seem to work well in a post-install kickstart script.

Most of the repo's are actually local mirrors I keep up to date with
nightly rsync's.

I delete the S99firstboot links in /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc5.d so that never
runs on the first boot.

# Kickstart file for Fedora 14 installs

#version=F14 64-bit x86_64
install

# Standard packages like you'd see on an install DVD
url --url http://example.com/repo/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/

repo --name=local-everything
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/releases/14/Everything/x86_64/os/
repo --name=local-updates
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/updates/14/x86_64/
repo --name=Adobe --baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
repo --name=rpmfusion-free
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/rpmfusion/free/fedora/releases/14/Everything/x86_64/os/
repo --name=rpmfusion-nonfree
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/rpmfusion/nonfree/fedora/releases/14/Everything/x86_64/os/
repo --name=rpmfusion-free-updates
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/rpmfusion/free/fedora/updates/14/x86_64/
repo --name=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
--baseurl=http://example.com/repo/rpmfusion/nonfree/fedora/updates/14/x86_64/

# text
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
xconfig --startxonboot

network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --noipv6 --hostname
hostname.domain.com
rootpw  --iscrypted $1$the_encrypted_root_password
auth --useshadow  --enablemd5  --enablenis --nisdomain somenis --enablecache
selinux --disabled
firewall --disabled
timezone --utc America/Chicago
bootloader --location=mbr --md5pass=$1$mygrubpassword

services --disabled=NetworkManager,iptables,ip6tables,bluetooth,libvirtd
--enabled=network,nfs,nfslock,autofs,sendmail,ypbind,nscd,rlogin,rsh,ntpd,rstatd

%packages --ignoremissing
# <Bunch of packages and groups listed here>

#Packages to skip
# <A few packages listed here that I do NOT
# want installed>

%end

%post --interpreter /bin/bash
IP=`host $HOSTNAME | cut --fields=4 -d " "`
export IP

echo "# Hosts file generated by kickstart %post section" > /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    localhost" >> /etc/hosts
echo "$IP    `hostname`    `hostname -s`" >> /etc/hosts

# Notify on completion
cat > /var/tmp/complete.txt << EOR_INSTALL_COMPLETE
***
The Fedora 14 install on `hostname` is finished.
`hostname` has rebooted and is ready for post-install
procedures.
***
EOR_INSTALL_COMPLETE

mail -s "`hostname` installation status" someone at somewhere.com <
/var/tmp/complete.txt

# Remove firstboot start files
rm -f /etc/rc3.d/S99firstboot
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/S99firstboot

# Change weekly RAID re-syncs to montly
mv -f /etc/cron.weekly/99-raid-check /etc/cron.monthly/99-raid-check

cat > /etc/sysconfig/somefile << 'EOR_SOMEFILE_FIX'
Change the contents of SOMEFILE to this text
instead of the default.  Lets me set configuration
files at install time.
EOR_RPCBIND_FIX

cat > /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf << 'EOR_YUM_UPDATESD'
[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 86400
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 3600
# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = email
email_to = someone at somwhere.com
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = no
# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

EOR_YUM_UPDATESD

# Tweak /boot/grub/grub.conf for timeout and hiddenmenu settings
# Added 2010.08.16
sed -i 's/timeout=0/timeout=10/' /boot/grub/grub.conf
sed -i 's/hiddenmenu/#hiddenmenu/' /boot/grub/grub.conf

# Disable ipV6
cat > /etc/modprobe.conf << 'EOR_KILL_IPV6'
install ipv6 /bin/true

EOR_KILL_IPV6

%end

reboot