Problem during Fedora 14 install: usb4-2: USB disconnect, address NN loop

Iosif Fettich ifettich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:19:37 UTC 2010

Hi dear Fedora users,

while trying to install Fedora 14 from the x86-64 DVD on my desktop, the
installation seems to hang early; just a look into terminal Ctrl-Alt-F4
shows that something is going on, and that is some kind of loop, displaying
things like

usb4-2: USB disconnect, address NN
usb4-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address NN
usb4-2: new USB device found, id Vendor=0764, id Product=0501
usb4-2: new USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, Serial Number=0
usb4-2: Product: DX600E
usb4-2: Manufacturer: CPS
generic-usb 0003:0764:0501:00XX: hidden 96, hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 device
[CPS DX600E] on usb=0000:00:1a.1-2/input0

where NN is a number that increases steadily after timeouts of about 30
seconds or so and XX is the hex representation of NN+1.

It seems that my UPS - some CyberPower product - is the culprit; I haven't
had the time yet to see what happens if I try installing with the UPS
disconnected.

However, since the same UPS behaved fine a few months ago and there was no
problem while installing Fedora 13, I think that I should report this
somewhere; question is: where and whom...?

Many thanks in advance.