Fedora 14 Kickstart Problems

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Nov 8 20:55:00 UTC 2010

On 11/08/2010 11:48 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 14:09 +0100, Bernd Nies wrote:
>> is there another better way to install some hundred Workstations with
>> as little user untervention as possible.
>
> I've always wondered about this, and I'd be surprised if someone on the
> list hasn't tried it, but:  Is it quicker, than doing individual
> automated installs to, build one system, and then clone the drive for
> each other work station?

Assuming the hardware and such on the other stations are identical, you
can ghost the drives or use some commercial product (e.g. Acronis) and
clone to your heart's content.

If they're not identical (ESPECIALLY if you have to use different disk
drivers), then you'll have to rebuild the boot ramdisks and such after
cloning (e.g. boot off a rescue CD, chroot to the root of the installed
system and use dracut or mkinitrd or whatever to rebuild it).

We do both cloning and PXE boot kickstarts off network installs.
Depends on your pain tolerance.  :-)