how to generate pi in c

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 23:27:57 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 08, 2010 18:00:55 Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > I was always under the impression that pi was merely the ratio of the
> > > circumference to the diameter, something that's easy enough to prove
> > > empirically (measure the two, and do the maths).
>
> Just remember that depends on Euclidean Geometry. In other geometries (say
> very large circles on the surface of the earth) the ratio is different.

Ok, well, since this thread is already so far off-topic for a Fedora list, it
won't hurt much to add a few more lines... :-)

The pi can actually be defined as a period of the exponential function, exp(z),
in the imaginary direction. This is quite fundamental, and doesn't depend on
any geometry definition whatsoever. Everything else can be considered a
consequence, if you set up your axioms in a convenient way... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko