Fedora 14 Kickstart Problems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 9 14:18:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 12:55 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> If they're not identical (ESPECIALLY if you have to use different disk
> drivers), then you'll have to rebuild the boot ramdisks and such after
> cloning (e.g. boot off a rescue CD, chroot to the root of the
> installed system and use dracut or mkinitrd or whatever to rebuild
> it).
>
> We do both cloning and PXE boot kickstarts off network installs.
> Depends on your pain tolerance.  :-)

Yeah, I'm aware of the need to deal with non-identical hardware, and for
each system to boot up with unique hostnames, etc., making a need for a
clone to be an almost-finished install.

But my question still stands.  I'm curious as to whether there's a
significant speed difference between cloning and finishing the install,
compared to doing a fresh install on each computer.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.