Proper way to contact a package maintainer?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:44:41 UTC 2010

Two questions:

1. I've googled[1] for an authoritative place to find out who
maintains what package but I can't seem to find a consistent source.
What's the proper way to find out who maintains a package?

2. Once I know this, what's the proper channel for contacting a
maintainer? Is it bad form to contact them directly using their email
address?

The reason I ask is occasionally there are "stable" versions of
software that seem to take a long time to make their way into the
repositories. My intent isn't to "bug" them so much is ask what's
needed to get the new version and offer assistance in testing.

Maybe it's the right way but I've never liked putting in bug reports
to request new versions of software (unless it's needed by another
package and therefore really is a problem).

Thanks,
Richard

[1] http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fedora+package+maintainer