Gnome: how put launcher/directory shortcuts as default/mandatory for all computer users?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 9 16:08:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 16:31 +0100, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> - "Desktop" desktop directory name depends on national setting

Not sure if that's automatically handled, or not.  Most likely it's just
a straight file copy, that'll expect certain paths to exist, or create
them (regardless of whether that user account would use ~/Desktop as the
desktop directly, or not).

> - it work only in account creation time, when i need modify something
> later, I will crawl through users dirs
>
> - as I wrote before, on PC is several hundert accounts, but actively
> in using only several (10-15), thus although desktop files aren't too
> big, symlinks to central dir are in this case smaller (and in addition
> centrally maintained)

Which desktop interface do you use?  There are some central management
tools for Gnome, one called sabayon should be a simple yum install away.
See: http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon  I haven't actually tried this,
myself.

There should be similar tools for other desktops.  And you might want to
Google "internet cafe" or "kiosk mode" for configuring a bunch of
computers in a very controlled manner.  I have tried this, years ago,
but don't recall much.  I'd guess that library mode, or central
management, might be some other likely search keywords.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.