Proper way to contact a package maintainer?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Nov 9 16:57:07 UTC 2010

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/

> 2. Once I know this, what's the proper channel for contacting a
> maintainer? Is it bad form to contact them directly using their email
> address?

Yes. I would suggest filing a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com instead.

> The reason I ask is occasionally there are "stable" versions of
> software that seem to take a long time to make their way into the
> repositories. My intent isn't to "bug" them so much is ask what's
> needed to get the new version and offer assistance in testing.
>
> Maybe it's the right way but I've never liked putting in bug reports
> to request new versions of software (unless it's needed by another
> package and therefore really is a problem).

It's fine. You can preface the subject with "RFE" (request for
enhancement) and most maintainers will know that means it's a
enhancement rather than bug request.

Filing it as a bug means that all the maintainer(s) of the package see
it (they are cc'ed) as well as anyone who takes over the package while
it's being looked at, as well as anyone who has input on it. much much
better than mailing a single maintainer where the email could be lost.

kevin