End of life for FC12?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 10 03:48:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:35:33 -0800 (PST)
Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just because it's EOL doesn't mean it stops working on that date,
> too. ;-)

Sure.

> Since FC6 (I've been using Fedora since Core 3), I've only upgraded
> with every third release--6-9-12.  I think it wasteful of time and
> energy to upgrade any faster.  It takes almost the 6 month release
> cycle to get everything working smoothly anyway.  Then chuck it all
> and start anew with a new set of problems?  No thanks.

Note however that when a release goes end of life you no longer get ANY
updates from Fedora (including security updates). This makes your
machine more and more vulnerable over time. Also, you may be told in
various support forums to upgrade if you run into issues.

> I've gotten to the point where I'm tiring of Fedora's fast release
> cycle.  I need a longer life OS.  I build my personal systems to last
> about 5 to 7 years with periodic hardware upgrades as needed.  I'd
> like the OS last that long, too.  My current system is only 4 years
> old and has already had 3 versions of Fedora on it.

Take a look at RHEL or CentOS then.

> I've looked at the beta of RHEL 6, which seems to be based on F12/13,
> and it's "current" enough for my needs.  (5 along with CentOS and
> Scientific Linux versions are too old being seemingly based on FC6.)
> So, when the new RHEL is release, about a month later, I'll take a
> look at CentOS 6, and go from there.

Note that if you installed rhel5 when it came out it would be about 3.5
years old. You say above you want 5-7 years, so toward the end of that
cycle it's going to be old software. ;)

> Of course, there's always Debian 6.0. ;-)  It's in Beta now.  Stable
> should be out Februaryish.  Or March.  Or April.  With Debian, you
> can never tell.

Use what you like. ;)

kevin