F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 16:57:31 UTC 2010

	By "s-c-d" I mean to abbreviate "system-config-display."

	I've been running three, sometimes four PCs, behind  a series of
KVM switches, against an HP w2207h monitor, which is a flat panel
1680x1050, for some years and several Fedora releases.

	Fedora's releases have always had troubles; as, I think, would
any other OS, since the PCs are generally two to seven years old: at
least one of them was built before any such resolution as 1680x1050 had
been invented. (The monitor can compensate down to 1280x1024, or a little
farther -- if the PC can send that, the monitor can stretch it to fit.)

	The troubles have gotten better but are not quite clear gone.
They've gotten down to this: on some but not all PCs, the cursor showing
on the screen is a couple millimeters higher than the mouse thinks; and
some displays' windows cannot be sized nor moved so as to make their
bottom lines clickable, or even visible.

	The big hammer used to be to take each PC in turn out from behind
the KVM switch, connect it alone directly to the keyboard, mouse, and
monitor; and use system-config-display.

	That would get everything close enough for the monitor to be able
to handle the difference.

	But now I get :

[root at Hbsk1 ~]# system-config-display
Command not found.

	Telling yum to install it fails.

[root at Hbsk1 ~]# yum install system-config-*

finds what I have, and installs a lot more; but system-config-display is
not among them.

	What can I use? This constantly clicking on the wrong place is
beginning to resemble the classic water torture ....