F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Nov 10 17:09:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 16:57 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	By "s-c-d" I mean to abbreviate "system-config-display."
>
> 	I've been running three, sometimes four PCs, behind  a series of
> KVM switches, against an HP w2207h monitor, which is a flat panel
> 1680x1050, for some years and several Fedora releases.
>
> 	Fedora's releases have always had troubles; as, I think, would
> any other OS, since the PCs are generally two to seven years old: at
> least one of them was built before any such resolution as 1680x1050 had
> been invented. (The monitor can compensate down to 1280x1024, or a little
> farther -- if the PC can send that, the monitor can stretch it to fit.)
>
> 	The troubles have gotten better but are not quite clear gone.
> They've gotten down to this: on some but not all PCs, the cursor showing
> on the screen is a couple millimeters higher than the mouse thinks; and
> some displays' windows cannot be sized nor moved so as to make their
> bottom lines clickable, or even visible.
>
> 	The big hammer used to be to take each PC in turn out from behind
> the KVM switch, connect it alone directly to the keyboard, mouse, and
> monitor; and use system-config-display.
>
> 	That would get everything close enough for the monitor to be able
> to handle the difference.
>
> 	But now I get :
>
> [root at Hbsk1 ~]# system-config-display
> Command not found.
>
> 	Telling yum to install it fails.
>
> [root at Hbsk1 ~]# yum install system-config-*
>
> finds what I have, and installs a lot more; but system-config-display is
> not among them.
>
> 	What can I use? This constantly clicking on the wrong place is
> beginning to resemble the classic water torture ....
> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Not Quite Clueless Power User
> I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.

Not quite as gui-friendly, but you can get X itself to generate a
xorg.conf configuration file:

 X -configure :1 # the :1 avoids conflicts with existing X server if any

You can review /root/xorg.conf.new to see if the options are to your
liking. To install it:

 mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

-Chris