F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 18:29:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:09:33 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:

> Not quite as gui-friendly, but you can get X itself to generate a
> xorg.conf configuration file:
>
>  X -configure :1 # the :1 avoids conflicts with existing X server if any

	I did that.

> You can review /root/xorg.conf.new to see if the options are to your
> liking.

	What it installed there doesn't even resemble the xorg.conf on my
#1 PC (which is still running F12). In particular, under Section
"Monitor" the new file has :

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"

where the old file on #1 has

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 65.5
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

> To install it:
>
>  mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

	I'll hold off on that for the moment, since I baffled by these
differences.