End of life for FC12?

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 18:36:07 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 11/10/10, Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/10, Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not running a server with the need for up-to-date
> security, but a
> > personal desktop that has more that sufficient
> security.  After 10 years of
> > using various versions of Linux, I've yet to be
> infected or hacked.  So, I
> > must be doing something right.  I ran FC6 for
> almost a year past EOL before
> > finally upgrading to 9.  Never had any problems.
>
> How do you know you haven't been infected or hacked?
> (I don't doubt that you do, just curious about how.)

Lack of the usual indicators, that is, no odd application behavior,  no unusual slow-downs, no excessive CPU usage, no excessive or abnormal net (or hard drive) activity, no crashes or freezes, no strange log reports, no reports from friends about receiving spam e-mails from me that I never sent, etc.

I've spent enough time fixing friends' infected Windows machines that I've gotten a "feel" for when something is amiss.  It's not a definitive feeling, just an indicator to start checking for something wrong.