F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 10 19:23:23 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 10:32 AM, Phil Meyer wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 09:57 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	By "s-c-d" I mean to abbreviate "system-config-display."
>> 	What can I use? This constantly clicking on the wrong place is
>> beginning to resemble the classic water torture ....
> The concept now days is to let X figure out most things, ie: driver and
> display basic parameters, and then let the user tweak the settings.
>
> So the new way is: gnome-display-properties
>
> it works quite well and is patterned after the vendor supplied programs
> that show icons of your displays and allow you to configure them.
>
> The downside to this approach is that each user has to do their own.
>
> The upside is that each user can set them differently.
>
> System/Preferences/Monitors
>
> Good Luck!
I have an open bug against F13 regarding my display being shifted to the
left so that about 1/8th to 1/4th is lost (Bug 650060). So far, we've
only been able to determine that running with nomodeset corrects the
problem, but the display quality suffers for it.

Is there any chance that this "gnome-display-properties" has the ability
to do x / y origin shifts? I couldn't find anything that worked in
xrandr, but I might be missing the insight for the correct option.

Thanks,
Paul