F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 19:49:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:32:17 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:

> The concept now days is to let X figure out most things, ie: driver and
> display basic parameters, and then let the user tweak the settings.
>
> So the new way is: gnome-display-properties

	OK, that would make sense if it worked.

> it works quite well and is patterned after the vendor supplied programs
> that show icons of your displays and allow you to configure them.

	Not here, it doesn't.

> The downside to this approach is that each user has to do their own.

	Standard doctrine: fine in theory.

> The upside is that each user can set them differently.

	If only each could also set them anywhere near well.

> System/Preferences/Monitors

	That thing?! Surely you jest. I can't get it to realize anything
over 1024x768 exists. Even the oldest of my PCs used to do fine with
1280x1024 -- and this monitor can stretch that up to 1680x1050. In fact,
my setting in xorg.conf has long been 1280x1024 for exactly that reason.

	The Germans have a word for this : Verschlimmbesserung. It means
making things worse by trying or purporting to make them better.