F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Nov 10 21:03:34 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 12:53 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 19:49:21 +0000,
>    Beartooth<beartooth at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> 	That thing?! Surely you jest. I can't get it to realize anything
>> over 1024x768 exists. Even the oldest of my PCs used to do fine with
>> 1280x1024 -- and this monitor can stretch that up to 1680x1050. In fact,
>> my setting in xorg.conf has long been 1280x1024 for exactly that reason.
> The new stuff doesn't work well with monitors that don't do EDID properly.
> For old monitors you need to set up xorg.conf entries that say what they
> can do. It would be nice if there was a way to somehow use the old list
> of monitor specs that was collected to assist people that need to do this.

You beat me to it. :)

One of my systems has the original DELL 24" monitor on it which provides
faulty EDID data: off by .1 !!

So although the OP, and others including myself, cannot hope to gain
from gnome-display-properties in certain circumstances, it is still the
way to do it.  Or rather, the only way, unfortunately.

I do understand the motivation and belief system behind the shift from
system level mods to user level easy GUI based mods, and to some degree
I agree.

However, somehow, the never ending stream of questions regarding display
issues that has plagued us all at one point or another needs to stop.

At what point can we say that if you have a 5 year old monitor, or a
monitor with a faulty EDID, you may have issues?

No way am I ever going to help my 85 year old dad configure his old
monitor (again).  I bought him a new 27" model, and he loves it!  And
gnome-display-properties worked perfectly to set his laptop display to
external only so he can just close the lid and forget about it.

I personally, am quite happy with gnome-terminal-properties and am
committed to never again get caught with a crappy display.  But ...

Good Luck!