Background task to download FC14 isos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Nov 10 22:18:12 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 03:32 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On 10 November 2010 13:06, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com>  wrote:

>>> wget -b
>>>
>> I guess I have never really been clear about 'background'.  This will
>> continue to run even when the I drop the connection that spawned it?  I
>> seem to recall going to close a terminal window getting messages about
>> background tasks and if I want to kill them as part of closing the window.
>>

> It is immune to hangups. You can check by running ps -uf.
>

>> Plus I have not figured out how to wildcard the wget for the FC CD
>> isos.  When I tried this for FC13, the only thing (at least for a couple
>> of mirrors I tried) the only file really in the
>> .../fedora/releases/14/Fedora/i386/iso/ directory was the index.txt, so
>> this would mean 5 parallel wget tasks.
>>

> There is a subtlety here, wget supports wildcards for ftp urls but not
> http. Look up the man page, I think it is covered under how to specify
> urls. Its been a long time since I looked it up.

ARGH!!!! I had old scripts like this that I run all the time, but never
look back at them.  The following works:

wget -b -r -l1 --no-parent -nH -A.iso
http://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora/releases/14/Fedora/i386/iso/

Only problem with this is that the wget log file is getting hugh with
all the progress output.  I will have to look into progress control next
time....