F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 11 01:55:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 18:29 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>         What it installed there doesn't even resemble the xorg.conf on
> my #1 PC (which is still running F12). In particular, under Section
> "Monitor" the new file has :
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "Monitor Model"
> where the old file on #1 has

The (above) being the sort of thing you expect when the EDID can't be
read, because it is connected through a KVM, for instance.  A generic
entry.

> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
>         HorizSync    31.5 - 65.5
>         VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection

And what you'd expect when the EDID can be read.  An entry related to
the particular monitor.

You didn't say whether, for this test, you had gone to the trouble of
repatching your monitor, or left it running through your KVM.

Surely, one of these days, someone's going to create a KVM that clones
the details of the monitor's EDID to all the computer monitor ports?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.