kmod-nvidia kills my sound

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 03:32:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Hugh Caley <hughc at aldon.com> wrote:

> Running Fedora 14 i686.  If I only run the nouveau video driver, my
> sound works fine.  If, however, I install and run the commercial nvidia
> driver via kmod-nvidia, my sound dies a few seconds after I try to use
> it.  It sounds for all the world like an IRQ conflict ...
>
> SiS integrated Intel sound ...
>
> 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
> 00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI
> Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
> 6200] (rev a1)
>
> CPU:
>
> [hughc at joss ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor    : 0
> vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
> cpu family    : 15
> model        : 2
> model name    : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
> stepping    : 9
> cpu MHz        : 2400.000
> cache size    : 512 KB
>
> lsmod (excerpt):
>
> snd_intel8x0           23104  4
> snd_ac97_codec         89730  1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus                 922  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_seq                43447  0
> snd_seq_device          5056  1 snd_seq
> ppdev                   6808  0
> snd_pcm                61769  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
> parport_pc             17897  0
> parport                26215  2 ppdev,parport_pc
> microcode              11139  0
> snd_timer              15435  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> serio_raw               3589  0
> snd                    47357  13
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               5088  1 snd
> i2c_sis96x              4651  0
> sis900                 15063  0
> snd_page_alloc          6180  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> nouveau               359723  2
> ttm                    44894  1 nouveau
> drm_kms_helper         22088  1 nouveau
> drm                   139250  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
> i2c_algo_bit            4197  1 nouveau
> video                  17730  1 nouveau
> output                  1625  1 video
> i2c_core               21328  5
> i2c_sis96x,nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_b
>
> I surely miss using Compiz ...
>
> Hugh

 I don't if you've bothered to look at Nvidia's website but here is a link
to their page on the linux driver for what I believe is the card your using.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.12-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

The hardware you are using appears to be of the older rather than newer
variety. I looked at the specs, albeit briefly, so maybe your card is newer
than I think. I wonder if there is some support in the latest nvidia
offering for display port? Your card doesn't appear to support display port
as far as I can see. I wonder what impact this may have if it is so. At some
point the card would have to interface with the sound device or provide its
own sound capabilities I guess, either of which might lead to interesting
problems. Though I don't know what impact that might have on a video card
that does not support display port. Anyway, maybe if you had another sound
card to try that might work or if you try an older version of the nvidia
driver or newer depending on what's packaged with kmod-nvidia. Last time I
tried the kmod package, i got no display at all. Best of luck.