Fedora 14 install

Ian Goldstein iang at optonline.net
Thu Nov 11 06:27:30 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am having problems installing Fedora 14.

I am reasonably new to Linux and decided to start running Linux on my home
PC.  It was a great learning experience working with Windows 7 Boot manager.

When I installed Fedora, I was asked to select some software.  Each option I
selected indicated a network connection was required.  I assume that was to
use YUM to install updated packages.

Anyway, I  had no network connection.  I use a Wireless Linksys WMP300N.
This uses the Broadcom BCM4321 chip set ( as seen from lspci  -nn).

Some threads I have read indicated that the 4321 chip set was supported
under the Kernel, but I do not see evidence of this.  I have also read
threads that suggested I install the Broadcom-wl rpm which was available on
Fedora's web site.   I searched the ISO media I burned and the web site but
did not find anything.

I have also scanned the Fedora14 install doc.  The doc does not seem to
describe what I saw during the install.

I would appreciate if somebody can point me to a starting place to get this
sorted out.

The install I did do was very minimalistic.  It did not install GCC.  I see
that on the media but it has many dependencies.  I would love to use yum to
install everything I need, but I need a network to do it.

Thank you in advance.