F14: what replaces s-c-d?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:37:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:40:48 +1030
Tim wrote:

> Tim:
> >> Surely, one of these days, someone's going to create a KVM that
> >> clones the details of the monitor's EDID to all the computer monitor
> >> ports?
>
> Tom Horsley
> > Well, mine as least does correct pass through of the EDID requests
> > if the monitor happens to be connected when you boot.
>
> Does it matter if the monitor's switched to another PC, at the time?
> And I presume it has to be powered on.

Yep. The monitor must be powered on and connected to the PC I'm
booting for the pass through of EDID to work (which is why I'd love
to be able to override the EDID info in the kernel so I could use
a copy of the EDID I happen to know it is gonna get when the
monitor is powered up or switched back in).

> The latter one's a bone of contention with me.  Even without a KVM in
> the mix, computers can be turned on while the monitor is still off.
> Particularly if they have a real power switch on the monitor.  I'd
> rather that graphics configuration is set when I say so, not each time I
> boot up.  It also reinforces the Windows way (just reboot the thing,
> rather that reconfigure it properly).

It is the Windows way allright. My Windows box also gets the wrong
resolution setting if I don't have the monitor on and switched to it
when I boot :-).