Failure of compiling mplayer

Abu Attar Musharih abuattar.musharih at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:49:53 UTC 2010

> Or perhaps it is because you have to add your user to the video
> group. /etc/group
>
> Anyway, it is not a problem with mplayer per se, it is a permissions
> problem or a missing library.

Now I have a clue why the mplayer installed on my fc14 machine can not
show any video nor  produce any sound.
It is somehow because of the alsa driver inaccessible or maybe  not
exist on my system.
# mplayer -ao help
	oss	OSS/ioctl audio output
	mpegpes	DVB audio output
	v4l2	V4L2 MPEG Audio Decoder output
	null	Null audio output
	pcm	RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output

I searched for the alsa driver  in fc14 repo, seems it is not
available. You only have wine-alsa driver which I downloaded to  fix
the flv player (flvplayer_setup.exe). The flv player on my machine
did not produce any sound either before the instalation of alsa.
I tried  to install the latest alsa-driver from the link
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page but failed.

 Has anyone tried the same thing and came out with a solution?

Thanks,
Abu Attar