Another kernel panic after preupgrade

oekopez at gmx.de oekopez at gmx.de
Thu Nov 11 15:16:53 UTC 2010

Dear list!

I tried to preupgrade a Fedora 13 installation to Fedora 14 following http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade. The F13 installation was my first Linux experience and therefore eventually a bit shakey. A closed source ATI catalyst driver was installed. After reboot the upgrade process failed upgrading one package: Reboot and:

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Unlike yazan in http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1413157#post1413157 the old F13 kernels from the GRUB menu are not working (black screen, or fancy colors on screen after boot process). Choosing the upgrade in the GRUB boot menu leads to a blue screen with the Error message:
"An error occured finding the installation image on your hard drive. Please check your images and try again."

I didn't erased any images on the hard drive.

Can anybody can give me a hint how I can repair the upgrade? I'd like to avoid a fresh installation.

Thank you in advance,

Philipp