Making space on an EeePC

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Nov 11 18:58:03 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 10:35 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> 	According to baobab, the biggest thing still left in the whole
> filesystem is /usr/share/locale. (I cut out apps utterly ruthlessly while
> installing.)
>
> 	Can I simply delete all of /usr/share/locale, or all but one of
> the folders in it?? Or shrink it some other way??

No.  And, even if you could, it's not the issue.  Linux doesn't mount
the file systems one folder at a time, it mounts the entire partition as
a lump then accesses it as needed.  I suspect that you simply don't have
a big enough, fast enough computer for Fedora, especially with Gnome or
KDE adding their requirements to the base system.  Have you investigated
something more lightweight, such as XFCE?  Or, if that's still slow,
take a look at Puppy.  If I can get decent response out of a P II/255
with 96MB of RAM, I'm sure it will be fine for you.