Making space on an EeePC

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:50:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
<mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 02:16 PM, fred smith wrote:
>> FWIW, I am currently running F13 on a eeepc 901 which, admittedly, has
>> A LOT more "disk" space,... a 4 gig and a 16 gig SSD. Normal Gnome
>> install, though made from the LIVE cd, and tweaked a little due to the
>> smallness of the root ssd.
>
> You can replace the factory-installed SSDs with bigger, faster SSDs from
> other manufacturers. It makes a huge performance difference.

I don't know that the older 700 series are upgradeable. I think they
are "permanently" installed. I couldn't find any upgrade paths for my
704g. I have F13 currently installed on mine. I'm using the 4G SSD and
a 4G SD card using LVM and a striped LV across both drives. I can
still fit it on one if I wanted to though, just not much room for user
files.

The best bet may be to use the LXDE spin[1]. It's even more light
weight than XFCE.

Richard

[1] http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/spins/linux/releases/14/Spins/i686/Fedora-14-i686-Live-LXDE.iso