Making space on an EeePC

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 03:06:11 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 11/11/10, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

>     I have F14 installed and running on an
> EeePC 701 -- the earliest
> smallest slowest EeePC afaik.
>
>     It boots and it runs. But it's not
> usable yet; for one thing,
> when I set it to boot, I then have to check every
> quarter-hour or two to
> see if it has finished yet ....

I fear there may be too much operating system for it.  Probably not enough RAM.

>     According to baobab, the biggest thing
> still left in the whole
> filesystem is /usr/share/locale. (I cut out apps utterly
> ruthlessly while
> installing.)
>
>     Can I simply delete all of
> /usr/share/locale, or all but one of
> the folders in it?? Or shrink it some other way??

Yes, you can, but use the Package Manager to do it.  Otherwise, you may screw up the package database.  Also, get rid of all those printer drivers the same way.  You don't need 400 of them hanging around on the hard drive, do you?  Get rid of the apps you don't need as you have.  How about all those fonts?  How many do you really need?  Get rid of OpenOffice, if you don't need all the other parts.  Abiword works just fine as a word processor and is much, much smaller.  Don't need to compile anything?  Out goes the compiler, headers, etc.  You really only need one kernel.  Get rid of the others and their associated files.  How about all the man and info pages?  You could even substitute BusyBox for many of the terminal commands.

I just finished putting the final touches on a "Like New", eBay'd eeePC 900 I gave as an early Christmas gift to a technophobic lady friend of mine.  I was able to easily eliminate 1.2 gigs of stuff from a standard install of Eeebuntu 3.0.  (I didn't want the hassles of troubleshooting a Fedora install.  Eeebuntu was purported to work 100% out of the box.  It did.)  It defaults to the Gnome desktop with all the bells and whistles, and installs on a 4GB SSD (3.3 before trimming to 2.1) and runs fine with 512MB RAM using about half after booting to the desktop.  I upgraded to 1 gig as a safety margin.  The machine was hitting the swap occassionally, but not much.

Anyway, maybe this link will be of help you.

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc

Take a look at 'revisor' to create your own custom Fedora spin.  Almost considered this for the above eeePC, but it would have involved way too much work.

or

 http://code.google.com/p/eeedora/
 http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/09/15/how-to-install-fedora-on-your-eee-pc/