Problems with K3b but not Brasero

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Nov 12 03:34:41 UTC 2010

I recently started having problems with K3B burning an ISO to DVD-R that
seems to be a failure of wodim to write the disk image. By recently
started, I mean that K3B previously worked without any problems, but after
a recent update K3B no longer works.

The problems started after an update of my F13 installation.  The only
thing I saw in the update which seems like it could have affected device
permissions was policycoreutils.  Did something in the SELinux settings
change around that time?  No alerts in the SELinux troubleshooter, so
presumably it is not caused by SELinux.

I went ahead and upgraded to F14 to see if that changed the behavior, but
it did not.

Brasero continued to work even when K3B did not.

The error message in K3B is "cdrecord has no permission to open the device."

This is the permissions of the cdrom device now:

$ ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Nov 11 20:52 /dev/sr0

I don't remember the cdrom group being required before, but I went ahead
and added my user account to the cdrom group to see if that corrected the
problem, but it did not.

This is the only output which looks suspicious from wodim:
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.

Tried as my user or as root failed:
wodim -v file.iso

The command line used by K3B seemed to be:
/usr/bin/wodim -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/sr0 speed=18 -sao -data
-tsize=2149736s file.iso

Also failed as either user or root.

Device user or group permissions or checking SELinux troubleshooter for
messages pretty much exhausted what I know to try.  Any other suggestions?

The next thing I know to try is removing K3B, wodim, cdrdao, and anything
else that is a dependency, and re-installing.  I am hesitant to try that
because of interdependencies between so many KDE components, I'm afraid I
might end up having to remove and re-install a large number of components.
 I would prefer to understand what is actually going wrong so I can fix
the root of the problem.

Recent update:  the update of selinux-policy which came today (Thurs 11
Nov) did not change the behavior.

thanks,
Chris Caudle