Another kernel panic after preupgrade

oekopez at gmx.de oekopez at gmx.de
Fri Nov 12 10:10:27 UTC 2010

> What I notice is strange about your grub.conf is that you have no
> initrd in the default boot entry (the Fedora F14 kernel).  This seems
> wrong, as the system will have no way of booting.  And it doesn't exist
> in your boot partition (no initramfs), so you can't just add the line.
>
> > title Fedora (2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64)
> > 	root (hd0,0)
> > 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64 ro
> > root=/dev/mapper/vg_fb09c2-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_fb09c2/lv_root
> > rd_LVM_LV=vg_fb09c2/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc
> > KEYTABLE=de rhgb quiet
>
> I'm not sure how you can use dracut to create one unless the system is
> actually running.  And you can't reinstall the kernel to pick up the
> original initramfs without the system actually running either.  It seems
> the upgrade left you high and dry.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable
> than me will be able to think of a way to create the initramfs.  There
> used to be a program called mkinitrd but I think it is obsolete as of
> F14.
>
> Here is a sample command that you could run with dracut to generate a
> custom initramfs named dracut-<kernel version>.  Run in /boot.
>
> /sbin/dracut -f -H -v --debug dracut-2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64.img
> 2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64 > dracut_output 2>&1

@stan Ok I've done that and inserted the line
"initrd /dracut_output" to grub.conf. But there is *no* difference during boot (kernel panic etc.).

@Sam: I tried your suggestion either (before dracut) but it is not helping anyhow. Particualry "chroot /mnt/sysimage" is failing (no such directory).

All I want is to resume the upgrade. I mean, I didn't do anything fancy. Is it by purpose that one unimportant package causing trouble during upgrade is killing my whole machine? Is that a bug or a feature? I am completely frustrated and currently not convinced of Fedora (except of its community of course, I appreciate your effort!).

Lost in rebooting,

Philipp
--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.