Convert ext4 lvm to normal ext4 partition

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 17:43:08 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On 12/11/10 12:50 AM, JB wrote:
>
>> Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan<at>   gmail.com>   writes:

>>> AFAIK this can't be done other than the obvious way: backup, reformat, restore.
>>>
>> That's what I meant.
>>
> Given that the OP's message asks about converting directly from LVM to
> ext4, and your reply says "Someone has done something similar", the
> obvious interpretation is that someone had converted directly from LVM
> to ext4.
>
>> Have you read that article or only scanned the title of it ?
>>
> Of course I read it, hence my reply.
>
> poc

Considering that the LVM is a ext4 Virtual partition it seems to me that
it would be easy to convert but there is no such beast out there
Lots of stuff for converting ext3 to ext4 but nothing for what I need.

All it really is is a mountable directory on a ext4 disk.
I am surprised that the feat itself can't be done.
Also I have been testing with seeker on my ext4 boot and I get 187 seeks
/ second, on the same drive but the LVM partition is 66 seeks / second.
As you can see  Fedora adopted this method of using LVM has effectively
slowed down the drive considerably. That's really a reduction in speed.

I am afraid the only solution is wipe it out and redo the entire drive
in ext4 partitions, which really bites.
It is the sole reason I did not upgrade to F13 and now I am faced with
exactly the same problem with F14.

Thank God the price of 1 TB drives have come down a lot in the 6 months
since I last looked as I will have to purchase one to back up the 500
gig that I have on the LVM

thanks for all who looked at this problem