F12 -> F14 Preupgrade Issue

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:28:57 UTC 2010

Dave Cross <davorg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 10 November 2010 11:01, JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Once you do the above, please do the following:
> >
> > # cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-fedora12
> >
> > then
> >
> > # vi /etc/grub.conf
> >
> > In the Preupgarde kernel line:
> > - remove this option
> >   rdblacklist=nouveau
> > - append these options
> >   xdriver=vesa nomodeset
> > Save the file, and reboot.
> >
> > If that does not work, I still have one more card in my sleeve ...
>
> Exactly the same results as before. Well, other than the fact that
> everything is in a far larger fornt due to the VESA driver.
>
> Thanks, as always, for your help.
>
> Dave...

Well, that was an "official fix" by Fedora to Nvidia-type preupgrade ...

Attention:
Have a live cd or an installation cd around in case you need it to
fix something because the system becomes unbootable.
Write/remember how to start it in a rescue mode or single user mode;
how to get to root prompt, mount any partition, chroot,
modify a file, execute something, rebuild your primary (MBR) bootloader, etc.
The latest Fedora live-cd is good for it. Knoppix as well.

OK.
Let's do the following:
- leave the kernel line options as before (that is xdriver=vesa nomodeset)

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-old

add new one with this content (just copy/paste, verify once more, write/quit)
# vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

- make a backup for future needs (it will come handy in emergency)
  # cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa

- reboot

Note:
- if the system becomes unbootable/graphics unstable, restore to your old
  config file with nvidia driver

  # cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-fedora12 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
- reboot to your F12 kernel

JB