Kudos (for a change) for some nice features.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Nov 12 21:21:37 UTC 2010

I'm currently using (on my second F14 box) what I consider to be the nicest new feature of preupgrade: vnc remote install preloading.  Perfect for semi-unattended upgrades.

My initial impressions of F14 on my laptop, installed as a fresh install with a separate /home that was left from the F13 install (and prior):

1.) Lots of work have obviously gone into this release, and updates are coming along to take care of some of the niggles (like the pyxf86config one that causes nvidia issues);

2.) Faster responding than F13;

3.) The laughlin background is cool, very cool!

Of course, I'm a KDE user, so some of my impressions are KDE upstream ones:

1.) Strigi is nice, but the initial indexing is a resource drain;
2.) My initial login into KDE 4.5 was unsuccessful; I moved my retained .kde tree out of the way, and could get logged in, then moved my stuff across piecemeal;
3.) Am I blind, or is there no document listing what all the files in .kde do?  (My .kde is old, really old, with stuff left I'm sure from KDE 1 back in my Mandrake 5.3 and RedHatLinux 6.0 days that I could probably get rid of)
4.) Still trying to get Desktop effects to work with the RPMfusion kmod-nvidia and the Oxygen theme..... but that's more an nvidia thing, not a Fedora thing.

Hardware is a Dell Precision M65 laptop with Quadro FX 350 M w/ 256MB video, Core 2 Duo T7400 processor, 4GB RAM, and running the 64-bit version.

Nice experience thus far.